Earlier, I spoke about our dilemma regarding saving the old house that exists on the lot. The size of the new space would completely cannibalize the 700 SF house. In the end, we decided that the old space could not possibly be well integrated into the new scheme.
We have found a better solution in deconstruction. Nancy has been discussing options for salvaging whatever in the project is worth the effort to remove it. Doors, windows, wood floors, and possibly some of the brick appear to be salvageable -- but at a cost!
Local outfits that do this include Resource out of Boulder. This will add to the cost of the demolition, so we need to evaluate this carefully.